More fun with communists!

Break out the borscht!
It's the communists, run for your life!

How the Communists Uses ReligionHow the communists use religion
Bundy
1966

Okay comrades, this is yet another gem plucked from a small public library.  This poor book had definitely seen better days.  The cover was damaged and the book had a serious “odor”.  Contents not withstanding, I think we can do better in both preservation efforts and in providing current information.  In my cursory examination of this title, this book  suggests that the Soviets had a great deal of control or influence on the Church.  Anyone know the background of this title?

Mary

  1. During the heyday of the Soviet Union, the government had a big influence on the Russian Orthodox Church – to the point where you’d have people sneaking off to get their sacraments elsewhere and the churches became empty. Also, Catholicism was not allowed – causing problems in the Ukraine. Islam was suppressed in Kazhakstan, Uzbekistan, and other major oil producing territories – one of the reasons the Afghans fought so hard against the invasion in 1980. The Jews were persecuted as well, but persecution of Jews was nothing new for the Russians.

  2. I found this book in the library/sitting room of my grandmother’s nursing home when I visited last summer, among the Danielle Steeles and the WWII novels.

  3. On a whim, I did a search for this title at my local public library. They didn’t have it, but the computer suggested that I might be trying to find “How to Communicate With Spirits”. The specter of Communism, indeed.

    This looks like it’d go quite nicely on the shelf next to “Was Karl Marx a Satanist?” by Richard Wurmbrand!

    1. I’d say it’s time to pull out the ouija board and ask Marx and Engels all those burning questions.
      “Karl Marx, do you have any advice about how to collectivization in the global marketplace? Also, what will my future husband’s initials be?”

  4. Useless book for today’s standards. However, I don’t find titles like this silly. On contrary, a modern book discussing China’s view of religion would be very useful.

  5. Last night, just weeded a title in the European History section called “Will the Soviet Union Survive Until 1984?” by Andrei Amalrik, circa 1970. Shockingly, the thing had never circulated. I guess we know the answer to this question now, no need to read the book!

  6. Nice try Sarah, but I don’t think these bloggers and most of their commenters are interested in the historical facts of how communists operate, only in sneering [how can atheists use religion–ha ha] at the victims of communism.

    100 million of them, according to the Black Book of Communism, which should not be weeded. And that’s just the murdered victims.

  7. While it is true communists are for the most part atheists, I think the point of the book was to explore how the adamant belief in antirelgion affected the people. Such as, IF you were religious you were thought of as a non-communist therefore dangerous. You don’t have to be religious to use religion.

  8. Also–Lilypad, there are a bazillion books on the modern US view of religion… Are you suggesting somebody write one, buy one for their library, or what??

  9. Bundy also wrote “Collectivism in the Church”,: “How Liberals and Radicals are Manipulating Evanglicals”; “Apostles of Deceit”; and several others –

  10. Well, this is the first book I’ve seen on this site which doesn’t look totally insane (although dog-hair knitting DOES sound nifty). Honestly, this book should be titled “how the communists destroy religion”. Stalinism tried it’s best to utterly destroy religion. I’ve been to Russia several times, and I was told by my Russian friends that 90% of all Russian church buildings were destroyed and the remaining 10% were converted into government buildings. St. Basil’s itself was almost destroyed. The majority of Russian Orthadox Priests were shot outright, and the rest went into hiding or renounced their religion.