Submitter: The reasons we find it awful:
- The awful grunge era cover art
- The awful title (a follow-up from I am an Artichoke)
- The cheesiness of the storyline “think how much better you will play after you’ve opened up more, opened up to love”
- What do Brussels sprouts have to do with anything?
- The fact that our library has 2 copies of this!
Holly: This came from a middle school library, and I have to agree with them on all counts. It’s dated. Sure, a few teens might go for this kind of thing, but in school libraries where budgets and space are tight, this is a reasonable weed. Kids who were in middle school in 1996 (anywhere from 12 to 14 years old) when this book was written are now 28 to 30 years old. (See, I can do math!) If the books in the school library are older than the kids they are meant for, they should be *considered* for weeding. (*Yes, there are exceptions!)